Tuesday, January 12, 2016

What Are Toutons?

Fried Bread Dough.

 

Toutons. Scroll down for the recipe.

That’s it. That’s all it is. And it is freakin’ delicious! Once you’ve added a drizzling of molasses of course.

I’d always thought that toutons where a Canadian thing. When I say always I mean since July 2015 when Bruce first introduced me to this delectable breakfast concoction. But just recently I found out that apparently they are a Newfoundland thing and some Canadians have never even heard of toutons, much less know what they are. Luckily for two of them we got to share the love.

Last week there was a fishery conference here in St. John’s and a bunch of Bruce’s old biology buddies came to town. We were hosting one of his friends and his friend’s grad student at our house for a few days and Bruce being the considerate cherub that he is suggested we have toutons for breakfast on Sunday before they flew back to Halifax. We invited some other people as well and decided to make a Breakfast Party out of the occasion.

Mexican Toutons (or Toutons made by a little Mexican)


Hell, we even had a Pre-Breakfast Party. On Saturday night we had a bunch of people from the conference over to our place and had home brew and even played a little Guitar Hero. I ended up going to bed at 5am and I wasn’t even drunk! I was however high on my guitar hero moves.

A few hours later, Bruce’s alarm goes off at 9:30am. He had to drag me out of bed because he had to pick up some of our guests and I had to hold down the breakfast fort. I had never made toutons before so I was a little nervous I’d mess them up. Luckily for me they are stupid easy to make:

Ingredients

  • Frozen bread dough (thawed of course. And I guess you could make bead dough from scratch if you were so inclined but you should be able to find the frozen stuff at a grocery store.)
  • Butter (a bunch of it)

 

Directions

  1. Melt some butter in a frying pan. Make it look like a shallow pool of awesomeness.
  2. Next twist off a small piece of bread dough and flatten it out some before you put it on the pan. Depending on the size of the pan you can cook about 4 toutons at a time.
  3. Flip over the toutons and flatten them a bit more with a spatula or whatever it is your using to flip the things with.
  4. Flip them a couple of times until they are a nice golden brown and cooked through.
  5. Serve them with a side of bacon and some baked beans and voila! You now have an awesome breakfast. Don’t forget the molasses for the toutons. If molasses is not your cup of tea you may use maple syrup instead. Just don’t tell my husband, to him using maple syrup instead of molasses for toutons is sacrilege. 
  6. Just remember to add more butter each time you start to make more toutons.

In the end I ended up making most of the toutons which was fine because they turned out to be super tasty. No one complained and some people even had second helpings which was great. That being said, toutons are not an everyday food but that just makes them all the more special when you do have them.

What are your favorite breakfast foods?

Kisses and hugs,

LittleCely

Afterthoughts

Bruce and I are breakfast lovers. We would eat breakfast foods all day if we could, and we actually should one day. We could make a day of it. I’ll have to run this by him some time. Three breakfast meals a day… doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...