Friday, May 16, 2014

The Liebester Award


Thank you to Abby J Reed for my Liebster Award nomination! It is my first blog award and I was flattered I was one of the bloggers she thought to nominate.

I had seen this badge and ones like it around some blogs but didn't really know what it was about. Basically fellow bloggers nominate others to help spread the word about different blogs and show a little appreciation.


Here are the conditions that have to be met to officially accept the award:
  • Link back to the blog that nominated you.
  • Nominate 5-11 blogs that have less than 200 followers.
  • Answer questions posted by you from your nominator.
  • Share 11 random facts about yourself.
  • Create 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
  • Contact your nominees and let them know you've nominated them.



Abby's questions: (Abby's other nominees are more established writers than I am so she tailored her questions to fit)

1. What is one lesson you've learned in the past year?
    I've been living just a little bit over a year in Iran and it has taught me a lot! The Iranians have many things in common with Mexicans: family is a big part of our culture and we are both warm and friendly people. After having lived four years in Prague it was a bit of a culture shock. Czechs are good people, they are just a bit colder if you don't know them. Once you do they can be great friends.

2. How have you changed/grown in the past 5 years?
    I graduated from University two years ago, worked as an au pair in Japan for a Summer and am now in Iran and headed to Qatar in a few weeks. But that is more what I've done than how I've changed. That's because the changed part is a bit sadder, I became sadder and kinda fell into depression a bit. It's something I'm learning to deal with and balance out. These past few months things have improved and I'm feeling better so I've got that going for me. 

3. When did you start writing and why?
    The first story I remember writing was in the first grade (when I lived in Orlando, FL). We were studying flowers and I wrote and drew a story about an ugly seed that all the other seeds made fun of but grew up to be the most beautiful flower. A bit of a rip-off of The Ugly Duckling but I didn't know that at the time. My teacher read the story out to the class, it was my proudest moment at the time.

4. Why do you write in the genre(s) that you do?
     I'm not sure I've really figured out my genre yet. I tend to write what I like, but lately I've written in the short story genre of magical realism because I love the contrast. For those that aren't familiar with the term, it's basically adding magical elements into a realistic setting as if it were a normal occurrence. I recommend reading Julio Cortázar's short stories if you want to see how magical realism is done. That man was a genius.

   Oh and I do have a novel in mind that would qualify more as a fantasy YA.

5. What is your current work in progress?
    I'm working on a more academic piece comparing Vladimir Propp's story telling structure with long running Japanese comic series written for boys. And I would like to put together a short story collection.

6. What's your favorite part of the writing process?
    Being caught in the flow of writing when I manage to get into that groove. And of course the part when you start sharing your work with others.

7. What is your favorite literary character?
    At the moment? I think it would have to be Arya Stark from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. As a kid? Dumbledore and Hagrid!

8. What is your favorite character that you've written?
     Well he isn't fully developed yet but in the novel idea I have been toying around with from time to time there is an imp I'm becoming very fond of. He is blue and has child like features but is a bit of a sociopath and much older than he looks. Yeah that's weird.

9. What are you currently reading? 
    The Spanish translation of psychoanalyst Jean Bolen's Goddesses in Everywoman

10. Any advice you'd pass on to other hopeful writers?
      Well seeing that I'm technically a hopeful writer myself, I'll simply say to write and read and write and read some more. And find the ritual and/or time that helps you get into that writing groove with more ease. I'm working on that myself.


LittleCely's 11 random facts
  1.  I'm the oldest of 3 children but look the youngest and am shorter than the losers as well. =P
  2. I have a miniature schnauzer that I asked for for my 15th birthday instead of the traditional Mexican Quinceañera party. I love my Monty!
  3. I was actually born in Guatemala, Guatemala, NOT Mexico.
  4. I'm a diplomat's kid.
  5. I have lived in 7 different countries throughout my life. (Guatemala, Mexico, United States, *Norway, Prague, *Japan, Iran) *didn't have anything to do with my dad's job.
  6. I'm a certified ESL teacher and teach Spanish as well (not certified but I know what I'm doing).
  7. I hate mushrooms. It's the texture not so much the taste.
  8. I'm allergic to penicillin.
  9. I love reading great dialogue out loud.
  10. I think I identify as pansexual?
  11. I do not have a computer/laptop at the moment. I won't get a new one till July when I go to the States to pick up my sister. =( Can't wait! (I've been using my parents laptops)
  12.  
     
And my nominees are...

Tarkabarka Hölgy over on her newest blog MopDog - It is a blog about Hungarian culture and quirkiness. I love it!

Celine Jeanjean - a bit of a random blogger like myself but also interested in a writing career.

Finley Jayne - A book blogger that reviews books from her local library only. Very interesting read!

Trans-Gentle Wife - An awesome lady with an awesome and loving marriage.

Little Big Girl - Another random blogger that has a "My Drawings" tab on her blog as well. 

Princess of Dragons - Who doesn't love dragons? Another random blogger that loves writing.



Their Questions:
  1. Why Blog?
  2. What is your favorite sport/activity/hobby besides blogging or writing?
  3. Which is your favorite blog post? (include a link)
  4. What is your spirit animal?
  5. Any guilty pleasures?
  6. What is your favorite book and why?
  7. What fictional character do you most identify with?
  8. If you could only describe yourself in three words what would they be?
  9. When are you happiest?
  10. If you could meet anybody living or dead who would it be?

Oh wow that was fun!



Enhanced by Zemanta


12 comments:

  1. My first story was a rip-off, too. I think it was about a girl who used lemon juice to wipe away her freckles. I don't even remember which book it ripped off, but it was a pretty popular one at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how well-traveled you are! Congratulations on your Liebster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for nominating me! That was so much fun to do <3 Now I need to go other bloggers that I.ve nominated them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to learn a little more about you. You've certainly experienced a lot of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, thank you again for the nomination! I have nominated you back since I had planned to do so in the first place and you beat me to the punch! Great minds and all right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good article, Cely, and congratulations!
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations dear Cely :) Thank you so so much for nominating me for the award. Its my first award and I feel blessed to have received it from you. I can't thank you enough...yay!! I am super excited. Its great to meet you :) Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anoosha! I'm glad you decided to accept my nomination. You really deserve it.

      Delete
  9. Where ya been, Cely? Hope you have a great summer planned.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Lee! I took an unplanned hiatus do to one part moving plans, one part lack of personal computer and two parts laziness. But I will be back soon! =D

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...