Friday, May 9, 2014

Divergent - A Book Review

Source Goodreads


Divergent: by Veronica Roth
Genre: YA Dystopian Sci-Fi
Pages: 487
Format: Paperback

Summary (from Goodreads):
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.





 LittleCely Rating:


"Liked it" smiley (1)




"Um..." smiley (1)




My Thoughts

First book down on my Blogger Summer Reading list! Woohoo! And my first time trying a personally formatted review post. Let me know what you think about it in the comments. =D

Anyway on to the review. For those looking for a more traditional rating system I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads but would have preferred being able to give it 3.5.

Overall I enjoyed the story after suspending disbelief about the overall premise. I didn't question too much the fact that society would decide to divide the population into five factions. I went with it pretty easily and decided that it had been in place for over a hundred years and thus the majority of the population could be conditioned to live in such a fashion.

Our protagonist Beatrice or Tris as she later calls herself, is likable enough. There were moments I felt she was a bit too "damsel in distress" but later I accepted it. She was brave when she needed to be and I've read female leads whose badassness is dialed up to 10 for the majority of the story and that gets old fast. In the end it really is more realistic that she would need help from time to time instead of being able to handle everything on her own all the time.

The evolution of the friendships and the romantic subplot advanced at a pace I was comfortable with and enjoyed. It didn't take away from the overall story and I became fond the main characters and hated the ones that were meant to be hated.

The writing style was typical YA; first person from Tris' point of view. It was easy to read and engaging throughout the story, nothing too fancy or overly simplistic.

Would I recommend this book? Yes. It's one of the better YA books I've read lately and I liked it well enough to read the sequel.

Have you read Divergent? What did you think? If you haven't read it, would you?

 
Enhanced by Zemanta


15 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the beginning, but then it got all actiony and lost me! That's just me, though. I'm not a big fan of action movies or books. I just zone out once they start running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit action packed and some of it was a little excessive but I thought it was an easy read.

      Delete
  2. This is one I still haven't read. There are so many books that it can be difficult to fit them all in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. If I could speed read I would be so happy.

      Delete
  3. I really liked Divergent, but I didn't care for the sequel and never got around to the last book in the trilogy :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm afraid of! If authors decide to make series it should be a rule that sequels should be as good if not better than the original. =(

      Delete
  4. I liked the first book. Found the second one okay. Had no desire to read the third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a reader that makes me worry, but as for writing reviews I think that that would make an interesting comparison.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie. I did enjoy the movie, but not as much as Hunger Games. ( I did read the books for Hunger Games.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah I really liked Hunger Games and I agree that both the movie and the books have an edge over Divergent.

      Delete
  6. I have not read it, or seen the movie, though both have been recommended. I think your review format is good ~ it doesn't give away the plot but gives enough info that a reader can decide if the book interests them or not.
    Glad you're on the Road Trip, and congrats on finishing the Challenge!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    On the Open Road! @ Join us for the 4th Annual Post-Challenge Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting! I hate spoilers myself so I try not to spoil anything for anyone else, even if they do want to be spoilt.

      Delete
  7. I'm not a big fan of dystopia, in general...although I do have some favorites, this series hasn't sparked my interest enough to read it (my TBR pile is already huge, and I don't read a lot when I'm writing a lot, so I'm being very selective right now),

    Your review helped me to see that I'm okay with letting that book and series be. =)

    Congratulations on finishing A-Z, and welcome to ROW80! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting! And yeah this book isn't a "must read" but an "okay read" so I'm glad my review could be of some help. =)

      Delete
  8. I haven't read it but I plan to - so I haven't read your review (to keep the surprise and discovery as complete as possible), but I'll be back once I have!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...