Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"Y" is for You're Next

A Slasher Film with a Twist

Movie Promotional Poster
Just last week I stumbled upon You're Next on my TV and by the end of it I was really glad that the movie title started with the letter "Y." Oh and fear not, for those of you who haven't noticed, I tend to write reviews and recommendations spoiler free.

I am actually a fan of horror and suspense films and could watch them all day really. Buuuuut, just because I will watch it doesn't mean I will like it. There are very few horror movies that I find good. One of the reasons I watch films like these is part of the adventure of finding out if it will be one that I will be completely satisfied with and think to myself, "Yep, that's a masterpiece." I want to find the perfect mix of horror and awesome storytelling.

You're Next isn't perfect, almost no slasher film is. It has its share of cliché slasher deaths, especially at the beginning. You will be yelling at your TV screen for the characters (who all happen to be white) not to be so stupid because they are totally heading towards certain death. The acting is... not too bad actually, although the writing at times is questionable. And of course you will have some bloody deaths that will make you think "Was that really necessary?" 

But then came the twist, which made me like this movie enough to write a post about it and want to watch it again with someone else as I gauge their reactions to the twist in the plot.

It's this twist that is its saving grace. Otherwise I probably would have rolled my eyes at the end and started looking for something else to watch. Instead I had to tell everyone in my immediate vicinity what I had just watched.

So do I recommend this movie? Yes, if you have no particular  problem with horror, blood and guts filled scenes. If you shy away from movies like this then there isn't really much reason for you to watch it. But if you like this sort of thing I say give it a go. Like I said, it isn't perfect, but it's different and what makes it different makes it worth the watch.

Will you watch it? Have you watched it? If you have what did you think?

 
Enhanced by Zemanta


14 comments:

  1. I'm not much into horror and have the same reaction as you to the folks in the movie who have to investigate noises and such at the risk of certain loss of life. Then, of course, there's the girl who takes a mandatory dive when the group is trying to get away from Mr. Slasher. I guess the blood-pumping excitement is why many people watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that is part of the thrill but of course I would prefer something with more depth but if they do well they won't always try too hard to be better.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cely - I'm not a watcher of blood and guts ... but you've got me with the twist .. though I suspect I'll still not watch it! Good to read though ... and glad you found your Y ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary! Yeah the twist is good but not good enough to convert a person who doesn't really watch these types of movies.

      Delete
  3. I won't watch it. I am a straight up chicken. I will read scary books full of disturbing things, but for some reason, I CAN NOT watch them on screen. My mind contains enough scary thoughts already, thank you. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, my dad is the same. He hates watching blood and guts and killing as well.

      Delete
  4. I don't mind watching horror movies, but like you, I tend to be very critical of them. I like them to be intelligent, with believable dialog, and characters that are well-rounded. It annoys me when the movie turns into an excuse to throw blood around and try to shock the audience. I want to feel the suspense, and be engaged with the plot--not repulsed by the over-the-top effects. Might I watch this movie? Perhaps. I'm certainly aware of it now if I have the opportunity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An intelligent slasher film nowadays is hard to come by which is a shame. Like I said, this one isn't perfect but the twist kept me going even if in retrospect it was a bit silly itself.

      Delete
  5. Horror movies give me nightmares. So I'd hide under a blanket the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who can't sleep by himself after a horror movie. It's normal for some. ;0)

      Delete
  6. I don't watch many horror films and go for the suspense more than the blood and guts. But now you have me curious about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a movie that will blow you away but I do recommend it if you are in search of a new horror film to watch.

      Delete
  7. Haven't heard of this one yet, but I like horror movies-will have to watch it sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should watch it you can. You might like it. =)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...