Monday, April 28, 2014

"X" is for Xenocide

A Novel by Orson Scott Card

Source Goodreads

I had been wracking my brain for a good enough "X" post to write about today. I mean how many words do you know that start with "X"?

But then it came to me, I've read a book that starts with today's letter and it is a pretty good book at that.

Xenocide is the third book in the five book Ender's Game series. A science fiction series following the life of Ender who in the first book, Ender's Game, started out as a six year old genius.

In Xenocide he is now an elderly man still trying to help figure out how humankind can co-inhabit the universe with other intelligent alien beings.

One of the things I like about this book is how Card writes the alien beings in the story. They not only have their own culture and rules, they have a completely different anatomy and evolutionary process. It is all done very well and that is one thing that I look for in a book. The worlds and the people have to be believable and well thought out. And in Xenocide they are.

The only pet peeves I started to experience with this book was when it referenced past books. The fact that it referenced things that had happened before wasn't the problem. They are all part of the same Universe and storyline after all. What bothered me was that some small facts were being remembered wrong. For example, Ender was recruited to Battle School when he was six but in this book and the next they change that information to age five.

I know it's a small detail but things like that, and bad grammar in published books drives me crazy! They only do it a few times in Xenocide but start to do it more often in Children of the Mind (the next book in the series). And because of those small details I haven't finished that book yet.

I love Card and his writing style and he is one of the reasons I am really interested in continuing my exploration into science fiction literature. It is a shame though that a small thing like mixed up facts can start to turn me off when continuing his story.

Have you read Xenocide or any of the books in the Ender's Game Universe? What are your thoughts on science fiction?



Enhanced by Zemanta


7 comments:

  1. Hi Cely - you have intrigued me .. Amazing you remember those details .. But I might do too - I might even look this book out to read - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read ENDER'S GAME, and while it was a good book, I wasn't blown away. Certainly not enough to pick up any of the other books in the series. You would think that he (and his editor) would be careful about details like that. J. K. Rowling would never have got away with the tiniest error! But I'm glad the book was there for you when you needed a topic for "X". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was wondering where his editor was during all of this.

      Delete
  3. This book is popular for the letter 'X' today :) I haven't read it yet, but it's starting to look like I'm the only one who hasn't lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will confess I have only seen the movie and I think it was excellent. The books have been on my list for a while now, I'll read them at some point...

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary - Tales of colors
    MopDog - The crazy thing about Hungarians...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie was pretty good and if you liked it I really do recommend the book as well. They are worth the read. =)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any fiction by Card, but the not-so-correct details would bother me too. This is why I like outlining my stories. If I don't have everything written down, I like to have the recurring details right. Ages, cars people drive, their habits, stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...