Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"N" is for Nose

Drawing Noses

Nose form with refrence picture. Drawing by LittleCely

Another drawing post! Monday was all about lips, today it's all about noses (which I actually drew first). Above is the start of my first nose. The form is actually a bit off, but I didn't notice this until it was too late.

Drawing by LittleCely. That is a folded tissue with the drawing (used for shading).

Noses are weird! Look at a nose long enough and it just seems like a really strange part of the face. It is a really hard object to draw as well. You would think because of it's lack of lines that it would be easy and quick to draw. You would be wrong!

Noses take just as long to draw as any other part of the face. You can't draw a decent nose in less than an hour unless you are some kind of genius savant. Otherwise it takes time. I take easily two hours or more.

Drawings by LittleCely

Noses are all in the shading. You have to show the shape and bumps with almost nothing else. I found that they are not as fun to draw on their own as other parts of the face but they are an important element all the same. Can you imagine a realistic face without a nose?


Drawings by LittleCely

I was happier with my next drawings of noses. The one on the right gave me more trouble than the one on the left. Shadows are important!

What do you guys think about noses?


Enhanced by Zemanta


9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some good noses, Cely! I read one of your posts where you said you sometimes feel a fraud because you are not self-taught, and all your drawing skill is learned from someone. You're not a fraud. Being taught doesn't give you talent; being taught hones and channels your talent so you make the best use of it. What you're showing here is a talent for drawing you've had all along that your teacher has helped you realize. That gift isn't just about lines on a page. It's about observation, patience, and the love of drawing just as much as knowing how to shade, and where to put the pencil marks.

    Thank you for sharing your gift with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colin. I really appreciate your encouragement. =)

      Delete
  3. I think it looks great! I like how you provided pictures from each "stage" to see how the nose came from start to finish. :-) Nice post, new follower!

    ~Mr. McLovin at Fuel For The Furnace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! For your comment and following! I'll be sure to check out your blog soon as well. (n_n)/

      Delete
  4. I am a huge fan of your drawings. These are simply beautiful !

    One of my friend who is also an artist often used to tell while doing portraits, drawing the nose is the hardest. You have done them so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So far I've drawn things separately but I'm looking forward to when I draw a complete face to see how it turns out. =)

      Delete
  5. Oh wow! Great work :)

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary - Tales of colors
    MopDog - The crazy thing about Hungarians...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...