Monday, April 14, 2014

"L" is for Lips

Drawing Lips


Lip Sketches. Practicing Form by LittleCely

As some of you already know, I take photorealistic drawing lessons with a very talented artist here in Tehran. We made it to lips a few days ago and I just managed to finish my first drawing of them in time for the letter "L" so yay!  We did noses a few weeks ago but that starts with the letter "N" (stay tuned for that!).

Lips with the original photo. Drawing by LittleCely

Lips present their own challenges as they have quite a bit of texture. If you want them to look realistic you have to really pay attention to the lines and creases that form in both the upper and bottom lip. The image above has my preliminary sketch with some shading.

Finished lips with reference picture. Drawing by LittleCely
 
This is where I decided to stop. Later today my teacher will take a look at it and tell me what I should do to improve the drawing. He sees things I still can't. The comment I most often get is that my drawings need to be darker. 

After a few hours of work I usually need a break because I seem to stop seeing what I've done and it all simply looks like blotches on paper. It's not too different from writing actually, you need to give it time to be able to see it fresh.

Drawing by LittleCely

A close up of my first lips. It could use a bit more detail and it doesn't look exactly like the reference picture but for a first attempt I think I did pretty well. I will continue to draw lips in the coming week. Some with more lipstick and even teeth!

I'll eventually make a post with the rest of the lips I'll end up drawing but until then you can follow me on Instagram or Tumblr if you want to see any progress pics as I draw them.

What part of the body or face do you like the most? What is your favorite thing to draw? If you don't draw what would like to be able to draw?



Enhanced by Zemanta


24 comments:

  1. I admire artistic talent like yours. I'm incredibly impressed and I see what you mean about the details of drawing lips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never know what expect on your blog-love it :D Great choice for the letter 'L'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, yeah I'm a pretty random person. I thought it would be more fun for me to write that way than simply keeping to one theme. I'm glad you enjoy the randomness as well.

      Delete
  3. Hi Cely - I would just like to draw and paint .. but your lips look very fine to me - gosh so good and congratulations - I sure hope your teacher gives you an A .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary! He helped me improve on the lips today. We just made it a bit darker and added a few more details.

      Delete
  4. Wow. Very nice drawings. You are so talented!
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lips are tricky to draw because they have so much texture. You did well! I personally like drawing eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yeah eyes tend to be a bit more satisfying because you can see more of the face and it feels like more of a portrait.

      Delete
  6. Wow ! That is so beautiful and real like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job with those lips, Cely. It looks to me like you're getting the texture and lines very well. I hope your teacher concurs. :)

    I like eyes and ears. Like lips, they're hard to draw well (and I'm no artist), but I always note when an artist has done a good job with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah, eyes are great and when done right they really look like they are alive.

      Delete
  8. I think that is real good work! I just can't draw, but if I could, I would have loved to draw eyes with expressions in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by! Eyes are great to draw.

      Delete
  9. I think you've done well. Not sure what I like drawing. Things never seem to sit in the position I want them to. I think they take on a life of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cartoons are great though. I love the situations you've put them in this A to Z challenge. They've made me think.

      Delete
  10. Good lips! Ugh. Teeth. I HATE teeth. They're so awkward to paint and I haven't been able to do it once without making it look awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I have a few pictures of lips with teeth and I'm intimidated by them.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic!! you really have a knack for hyperrealistic sketches! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's time consuming but very satisfying.

      Delete
  12. Visiting from A to Z. I am pinning this post because my 13 year old daughter loves art and is working on a portrait, but hopes to work on faces next year. Thanks for sharing your talent. Maria from "http://delightdirectedliving.blogspot.com/"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping by! It's great that your daughter is interested in art. It's a great form of expression.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...