Thursday, April 10, 2014

"I" is for Intelligence and Imagination

The Dog, The Panther and The Monkey

A Story with a Moral


Back when chain e-mails were still a thing, I received one that included a humorous fable with a moral worth remembering. The e-mail was in Spanish and it never said who the original author was. But the theme of the story fits with today's letter "I" so I thought I would share my translation of the old e-mail chain. Maybe you've heard of it before?

----

One day a hunter decided to take his dog along for the fist time on a hunting trip to a jungle in Africa. The dog, who had never been in such a place had wandered away from the hunter and decided to further explore his new surroundings.

Alone and away from the group, he suddenly caught sight of a panther in the distance heading straight towards him. Sensing he was in terrible danger he tried to think quickly of what he could do to save his own life. 

In that same moment, he saw a pile of bones not too far away from where he was standing and began to chew them with fervor. 

Just as the panther was close enough to pounce, the dog then said in a loud voice, "Ah, what a delicious panther this was." 

Stopping dead in his tracks the panther turned tail and ran. "What kind of animal was that?" he thought to himself as he went to put as much distance as he could between himself and the dog.

However, a monkey hanging from the trees had seen the whole thing. He ran after the panther to let him know he had been fooled.

"You're such an idiot!" the monkey told the panther, "it was just a dog and those bones had been there from the very beginning!"

Filled with rage the panther immediately ran back towards the dog with the monkey riding on his back. As the dog saw the pair running towards him he realized what the gossiping monkey must have done.

"Now what do I do?" thought the dog.

He knew he wouldn't be able to out-run them so instead he sat with his back to them as if he hadn't seen them coming. And just as the panther was close enough to attack once again, the dog let out an irritated grunt.

"Where the hell is that damn monkey? It's been half an hour since I sent him out to bring me another panther!"


Moral: In times of crisis, imagination is just as important as knowledge, innovation and daring just as important as strength.  And by overcoming fear, you can overcome any obstacle that comes your way.

So try to be as imaginative as the dog. Avoid being as gullible as the panther. And never, ever, be as much of a jerk as the monkey.





What did you guys think of the story? Had you heard it before? Do you know of any similar tales?




 
Enhanced by Zemanta


13 comments:

  1. I haven't heard that story but one that is similar about a crocodile and a monkey crossing the river. These stories are always a good read.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you for dropping by! A good fable is always enjoyable, I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! I don't think that quickly on my feet...but I wish I could. I really liked that Einstein quote. Too bad we can't travel back in time and whip that out on those junior high bullies who teased us for our imaginations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting story! I love old fables and had not heard of this one!

    http://peeekaaabooo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  4. That was some imaginative thinking! Thanks for sharing that!

    http://lgkeltner.blogspot.com/
    http://warpednerdiversity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting. Love hearing from you. =)

      Delete
  5. I've never heard that story before, but it's a good one. Thanks for sharing, Cely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob. I'm glad you enjoyed it. =)

      Delete
  6. Great story, and no, I never heard it before. That pesky little monkey ... Good thinking on the dog's part. Certainly shows imagination is stronger than muscle.
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...