Friday, April 4, 2014

"D" is for Doodles

Confessions of a Doodler

Doodles by Me! LittleCely

I'm a doodler. I have been for as long as I can remember. My mother is a doodler, my sister doodles, my brother and my dad also dabble in doodling from time to time. It's something I have to do when I have a pen and paper at my disposal and I'm thinking, listening or playing. Granted, I haven't done it much lately because it's easier to doodle when you're a student in a classroom than it is being a teacher teaching a private language lesson.

Doodles by me again! LittleCely

So the pictures that I'm sharing today come from old notes taken a few years ago at Uni. I have plenty more miscellaneous doodles in random notebooks and spare pieces of paper, but these were ones I knew I could find.

More doodles by LittleCely

Now let me just say that I have always been a good student and new studies on doodling show that it wasn't despite my doodling habits but maybe because of them that I managed to pay attention in all my classes.
 
Not all of my notebooks have doodles in them though, since there are teachers and employers who hate them and think they are a sign of a lazy and easily distracted person. But apparently not only does doodling engage the mind and help you remember, it boosts creative thinking as well. In my opinion, it is probably especially useful if you are an easily distracted person (I say this because I can be easily distracted). 

Squirrel!

Doodles! LittleCely

 
And what's fascinating to me about doodles is that each person doodles differently. Everyone has their own style of doodling and whenever I catch anyone doodling I like to take a peek at what their unconscious mind is telling their hand to do. So, fellow doodlers: Doodle on! And do so with a glint in your eye and pride in your... pen. Yeah let's go with pen.


What's your opinion on doodling? Do you do it? Do you hate it? Do you buy what they say about it actually being a good thing? Let me know!

Enhanced by Zemanta


14 comments:

  1. Love your doodles-fun idea of the letter 'D' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wanted something fun and doodles usually are. =)

      Delete
  2. Those are some great doodles! I usually doodle when talking on the phone or in a meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Yeah I will doodle when I'm on the phone as well.

      Delete
  3. Hi Cely - I can't draw for toffee .. I sort of do boxes occasionally or a tree, with a house .. but it's very basic and I get bored with my own doodles - I'd love to be able to draw, paint etc ..

    Do you do mind-mapping when you're studying or sitting at a conference or lecture .. ?

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also been trying to join your GFC (3) members .. but it won't take it .. I'll keep trying .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting Hilary! And for trying to join too, I'm not sure why it's not working though... I'm sorry about that. If it doesn't work you can try with bloglovin or Network blogs if you use those.

      And to answer your question from your other comment, yeah I will mind-map quite a bit. I'm more of a visual person I guess.

      Delete
  5. I used to doodle on the last page of my notebook while in school but nothing interesting enough as yours ! Yeah I had a habit of putting my signature all over my books ! Weird , I suppose !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ! I put in my Google name by mistake ! The same person from Word trance :D

      Delete
  6. When I'm in a meeting and the people are talking in circles, I tend to doodle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! I'm a definite doodler. Most of my school notebooks are full of doodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love looking back at my doodles it's like taking a walk down memory lane. =)

      Delete
  8. Your doodles are beautiful! I can't draw for toffee so I don't doodle per se, but I will draw trebble clefs over and over again, or music notes (or for some reason, the letter F). I think your doodling makes your notes look magical - I would much rather read through notes that look like yours, than something all neat and doodle free. It feels like we're taking a little tour through a magical world.

    And some of the smartest people I know are doodlers. I remember I used to work with this guy, and during meetings he would be drawing all sorts of little figures on his notepad, he looked like he was paying no attention to what was going on. And then out of nowhere he would pull out the most relevant comment or question in the whole meeting.

    Definitely keep on doodling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw... Thank you so much! I do have some clean cut notes but I do enjoy revisiting the doodled ones and they actually sometimes help me remember the moment I doodled them a bit better. Weird right?

      Oh and I had a classmate who had a particular type of doodling style like your trebble clefs, she would only doodle short lines that she would link together to look like stairs or certain other patterns. I was fascinated because I think particular doodles tell a lot about a particular person. So the fact that you tend to do clefs and music notes and the very rando letter F, is very interesting to me.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...