Wednesday, April 2, 2014

"B" is for Beauty

The Arbitrariness of Beauty

Isn't Beauty like language? We choose what it is and how it is defined. 

It's that simple, but then it isn't. Because while it is We who create the worth and meaning of both, a single individual can't change it on their own. It has to be the We that shapes the meaning of beauty and how it changes. But this We, that takes it upon itself to decide what we should like and say, while having an unbelievable amount of control over us, can barely control it's own actions as they take form. 


An individual will always be an individual person with their own thoughts, beliefs and values. But these individuals will forever be influenced by the We. And what blows my mind is that that same We is formed by nothing more than us: individuals. But once the We is created it becomes a separate entity that can't be manipulated with precision unless you are able to control what people see, hear, read and talk about.

Beauty is important in many aspects of life and that can really suck. We judge by what we see no matter how many times we are told that we shouldn't. But I guess it can't be helped and the only thing we can do is realize what is happening and try to continue to promote the values we wish the We would take into consideration more often. Because the more of us as individuals that are able to do that, then maybe it will leak into the We's consciousness sooner rather than later.

Did any of that make sense to you guys?
Do you agree? Or am I totally crazy? Let me know what you think.
 

13 comments:

  1. Made lots of sense, Cely. That's the thing we sometimes forget about language. It's arbitrary. Thanks for visiting me at the IWSG blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for your visit. There is so much out there that we think is fixed when it's really arbitrary. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so.

      Delete
  2. Beauty comes in many different forms and exists on many levels. Surface beauty is sometimes just a facade that disguises a deeper ugliness just as we may perceive someone not to be beautiful at first until we get to know them and the deeper beauty that is within. Beauty and our perception of it is very arbitrary.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Arlee! And yes I totally agree.

      Delete
  3. The definition of beauty varies from Individual to individual, culture to culture. Since I seem to have a mixed-heritage face (though I am purely Indian!) I often seem to get the remark from people ranging from exotic, beautiful to very weird/ugly. The bright side of it is that I have learnt about the variation in the perception of beauty amongst people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I am Mexican with some arab features so I'm short, have dark hair and eyes. In Mexico everyone has dark hair and eyes so I didn't feel very special. Then I spent a year in Norway where everyone is tall blond and has light eyes. I have never had so many compliments on my hair and eyes in my life. Whereas someone like them in Mexico would be the "exotic" beauty. It opened my eyes.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! I spend so much time trying hard to teach my young daughter this very thing: AM I pretty Momma?? she often asks me. Am I beautiful? Instead of saying YES my Sweetheart! You are! I try to ask her what beauty is. What makes someone have beauty...that way she will see all the things within HER and all of us that make us all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! It's hard for teenage girls especially to accept this kind of thing so I think it's great that you're starting to teach your daughter at a younger age. If I ever have a daughter I will try my best to do the same.

      Delete
  5. So true that for many of us, beauty is taken at superficial value. Hard habit to break, but try we must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping by! And you're right we all do it, it's just a matter of remembering that there is more to a person than the superficial side.

      Delete
  6. Beauty comes from the inside. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! Great to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of the people I admire most...think are the most beautiful, are people that others would consider homely. And there are others that outwardly look "just right" but whose inner spirit makes them downright ugly to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens a lot as well. We have a saying in Mexico, : "you see them with love in your eyes." but I think that's a good thing. No matter how good looking a person is, if they are a bad person I will not be attracted to them or think them beautiful. And if they are wonderful people I see them more beautiful than others might.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...