Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Mad Fat Diary - A Review


 My current favorite slice-of-life television series at the moment is My Mad Fat Diary. A British comedy-drama series that airs every Monday on Channel 4 (in the UK).


The story revolves around Rae Earl, an overweight sixteen year old teenage girl who spent four months in a psychiatric hospital and is now trying to transition into "normal" teenage life. School, friends, boys and all the awkwardness that comes with being sixteen years old, with some mental issues thrown into the mix.

British TV really knows how to handle shows like this. They cast young people that seem real, believable and relatable. They don't have to be perfect, pristine china dolls. The writing is witty and draws you in. You're laughing one moment, crying the next.

I love Rae, the main character of the show, so much. You root for her and want to tell her that things can get better. Especially if you simply don't care what everybody thinks. But when you're sixteen that is ALL you care about. Being 26 now, it is so easy for me to think of things the characters should be doing instead of suffering the trials and tribulations that they are going through now. But when I remember what it was like to be 16, I get it. It's a confusing time, it's awkward and uncomfortable and you're not quite an adult yet but you want to be so badly.

I binge watched the whole first season back in January and was so excited that they had a second season coming up only a month later. I didn't have to wait as long as other fans since I discovered this wonderful show at a good time. And the second season is just as good, if not better than the first. I'm looking forward to see where this show leads and how Rae manages to get through it all.

 I've also recently learned that the show is based on a book by the real Rae Earl called, My Mad Fat Teenage Diary. I'm intrigued to find it to read and compare. But I'll wait until season 2 is done and over with before delving into the world of the book.

Enhanced by Zemanta


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...