Monday, March 17, 2014

A Dose of Insanity to Get Me Back on Track



About two months ago I decided that I needed to lose weight. I was slightly over 61 kilos (about 134lbs) and did absolutely no exercise. That may not seem like much to many but when you are 155cm (5'1"), well I looked a lot heavier than what 61 kilos actually are.

But when I started on my weight loss journey, I did all the wrong things for my body. I was eating less than 800 calories and burning 300 calories with exercise. My net calorie consumption was around 500 calories or less a day. I didn't understand why I was getting weaker and more tired instead of stronger and more energetic.

It seems so obvious now but I know I'm not the only woman or young girl who has these false assumptions about weight loss. To lose weight fast all you have to do is eat fewer calories right? Yeah, if you want to break yourself!

I lost weight sure, but I didn't like the side effects. I decided I wanted to be healthy and strong, not skinny and starving. I did some research and decided to join MyFitnessPal a little over a month ago to help me log calories. I started eating more, 1250-1350 calories net, and continued my exercises (stationary bike and circuit body weight training) eating back any calories that I burned.

I gained weight in the beginning but that was to be expected. I had been starving myself and probably lost what little muscle mass I had. But then I started losing again, slower but I was feeling much better.

And then one month ago I joined a group on MyFitnessPal that was taking on the Insanity Challenge. A 60-day body conditioning workout program by fitness instructor Shaun T.

I had heard about the program before and heard it was tough but I was intrigued. I new I would be more dedicated to exercise if I followed a program and even more so if I was doing it alongside other people.

And now with one month down I feel great! I've gotten stronger. I've improved my cardio and endurance and now have what I call my mini muscles (n_n). I still have a ways to go (I'm now 57.6 kl 126.7lbs) but today I start recovery week and then it's on to the infamous month two (said to make month one look like a walk in the park)!

I feel very grateful to the members of the Insanity group I joined. We help keep each other motivated and accountable. I probably would have quit by now if it weren't for them. Sadly my self discipline isn't all that strong when I do things completely on my own (another reason why I have a blog). They have been and continue to be a great source of motivation and inspiration. Thank you guys!
Exercises in the fit test. How many can you do of each in a minute?
So far we have done the fit test twice and I have seen some improvement.

Switch Kicks:  49 ------------ 67 (I counted each kick)
Power Jacks:    18 ------------ 34
Power Knees:   40 ------------ 48
Power Jumps:   16 ------------ 17
Globe Jumps:     6 ------------- 6 (second time with better form)
Suicide Jumps: 10 ------------ 12
Push-up Jacks:  28 (knee push-ups) --- 15 (regular push-ups) working up to the jack part
Plank Oblique: 20 -------------20

The third fit test is next week and I will share the results on here as well.

So far I've learned that losing weight the right way takes more time and work but it's the best option in the long run. I can eat more this way and it's not just about losing weight anymore, it's about being healthy.

I've taken some progress pics but I want to save those for when I finish the 60 days. In the meantime I leave you with one of my favorite fitness quotes:


Here's to looking good naked! If you're on MyFitnessPal and looking for new friends, you can add me here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...