Monday, April 8, 2013

Your Monday is My Wednesday | Iranian Days of the Week


Now normally I write something TV or movie related on Mondays but seeing as I started Farsi lessons again I wanted to switch things up a bit, so today is an Iran culture post and Wednesday I will post my opinion on an upcoming Pixar movie that I have been waiting for, for YEARS.



As a fan of 9gag, a website dedicated to sharing memes, I am very much familiar with the "I hate Monday" type posts. And I must admit, I have also felt a grudge every now and then towards that particular day of the week. It signals the return of work and school. It is, alas the end of the weekend. But since moving to Iran, Monday has become my "blah" day, instead of my "oh here we go" day. I know I'm such an optimist! And surprisingly it only took me about a week or so to get use to it.

As my mother says, "People can adapt to anything, except not having food and/or water."


In an earlier post I mentioned that Iran follows a different calendar than most of the rest of the world. It is a solar calendar and is greatly influenced by the Islamic religion, while other countries tend to follow the Christian tradition. Thus their weekdays are somewhat different.

The work week in Iran is from Saturday to Wednesday. Thursday is off for schools and those who don't get this day off will usually only have to work half a day instead. Friday here in Iran is the day of the week where many places are closed and the traffic calms down a bit more. It is the holy day of the week for Islam. The day they go to mosque and pray.

Saturday is my new "we meet again" day. I don't necessarily hate it, but I do sometimes wish it would take longer to get here. But now every time I see a Monday post on 9gag, I think "huh, I'm in the middle of my week and longing for Wednesday instead of Friday." And I am surprised how quickly I've gotten used to it. It's not weird at all any more for me. It is simply my new reality.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...