Monday, May 14, 2012

From Prague to Tokyo

Early mornings were when the bridge was most worth crossing...

Saying "Good-bye" in order to say "Hello." 

 

Admittedly, four years is a relatively short time in the greater scope of things. If I'm lucky enough to live to a ripe old lady age - 80 let's say - four years seems an insignificant number if you really think about it. But then again, a mere instant is enough to change a life. And a single moment or chance meeting is more than capable of leaving a permanent mark. So in the end, four years are still four years. Their significance depends on the person who lived them.

Four years of my life were spent in "the heart of Europe," in what is arguably the most beautiful city in said continent - and maybe even the world. I knew I was never going to stay there permanently. While fellow expats contemplated that notion, that idea had never crossed my mind. Prague was always a "temporary" home and I was fine with that.



My father is a diplomat. We move. It's what we do. I wouldn't have it any other way. Yet it was still sad to say good-bye. And while good-byes are always sad, this good-bye was sadder than I expected it to be. I experienced my university life in Prague. I would often cross the Charles bridge to get to school. Our house had an amazing view of the Vlatva river and Prague Castle. What's more important, I met great people and made even greater friends. It was more than saying goodbye to just a place. I was also saying goodbye to a particular phase in my life.

My life is now in the middle of a transition. And this transition is taking place in a new location: Japan.

Sushi Welcome/Birthday Party. It was delicious


It has been a dream of mine for many years to come here and experience what Japan has to offer. Now that I'm finally here I still don't think I fully believe it. Staying in Tokyo two stations away from Shinjuku, I am in a very convenient area. It's time for me to take advantage of this opportunity.

For the time being it looks like this stay will last for about six months, but I might just come back after that to continue my studies... This is something I have to figure out during this transition period. But it's not going to be a period of just waiting to see what happens, but of exploring, experimenting and searching. I am not completely sure what I am looking for yet so I will allow it to search for me as well. Working from both ends hopefully we will be able to find each other.

With this blog I hope to share my experiences not only with family and friends, but with anyone else who would be interested in my journey. It will contain more than just my experiences in Japan; I have many other interests and fandoms I would like to analyze and share my thoughts (or slight fangirling rants) on, and this is a great medium by which to do so.

However long it lasts, it will be a great way to look back and see what I have done.




1 comment:

  1. "It is not the destination but the journey that matters" Enjoy Celi. Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...